Monday, July 29, 2013

Watercolor: Hosta

I love hostas. They're so pretty and easy to grow. We have some along the side of our house, and they were the inspiration for this painting.

This lesson (from Watercolor: The Complete Course) was all about sponging to add texture to your painting. I used a synthetic sponge and I only sponged a few of the leaves for a bit of texture here and there. I love the results of this technique. Lots of great, unique texture. It adds more interest and life to the painting. Love that. For this particular painting I couldn't help but add some lines with a fine tip black marker. Since the whole painting is green I really felt it needed more definition and the outlining accomplishes that, though I wish I would've kept them a little lighter. Next time.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...