Monday, April 28, 2014

From the Pages of My Sketchbook

This floral sketch was inspired by some gorgeous blooms at Fredrick Meijer Gardens.

To render these flowers, I first used a water soluble marker to add all the purple line work in the petals. Next, I went over the lines with a water brush to both soften the lines and color the petals. Finally, I added highlights with a white paint marker. Now I totally could have painted the petals and gone back in to add the line work with paint and a detail brush, but, using a marker is a whole lot faster, which is great for sketching. If I were painting this as a final piece of art, I wouldn't use the marker, I would only use professional quality paint...and these flowers would take a lot longer to finish! :)

Supplies: Moleskine Sketchbook, Tombow Dual Brush Pens, Koi Watercolors, Water Brush, Sakura Pen-Touch paint marker, Faber-Castell permanent marker.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...