Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Eleven


Today she is eleven. Moya's thoughts on turning eleven, "Only two more years until I'm a teenager!" My thoughts on Moya turning eleven, "Only two more years until she's a teenager!" But mine is to be read with a somber, "my baby is growing up way too fast" sort of tone. And you might as well throw in a couple of sobs while you're at it too.

I created this page using Fancy Pants It's Your Day collection. The photo is of Moya at her party over the weekend. As you can see, she opted for donuts rather than cake...good choice!

I thought I'd share the steps to create the scalloped border section at the bottom of my page. It's pretty simple and lots of fun!


Use a border punch to create some scallop strips. I used the large scallop border punch from EK Success. I LOVE this punch! I made the strips different lengths and widths just because I was using up some scraps, and because I like the way they look on the page. Next, machine stitch along the scalloped edge.


Ink the edges of the scallops with a slightly darker shade of blue. I used ColorBox Chalk Ink in Ice Blue.


Now for my favorite part. Glitter! Apply clear paint or glue, I used Making Memories clear glitter paint, along the scalloped edge and then sprinkle on coarse glitter. Notice how that darker blue ink shows through the glitter. It just adds a little more depth to it. I can hear my high school art teacher saying, "add layers of color to add depth." She'd be so proud!


Finally, adhere the scallop strips to your page. Once glued down, use your fingers to gently curl the scallops upward to create some depth. And that's all there is to it! Super easy!

Thanks for stopping by and have a great Wednesday! I'm off to cry over baby pictures of Moya...

16 comments:

Sasha Holloway said...

I absolutely love this layout. You always make great use out of your papers.

Heather said...

I have a confession to make... "It's Your Day" was my least favorite new collection... but I absolutely love everything about this layout! It's beautiful, the photo is beautiful, and I have decided to order the collection. You've shown that you can do a lot with it :)

JENNY K. said...

Beautiful work Cindy. I love all the GREAT details you add with the scalloped edges and glitter accents. Just GORGEOUS!

Diana Waite said...

this is SO creative! I love that you added ink before the glitter--I LOOOOVE this punch to--thanks for helping me remember it's in my stash too! :)

laura vegas said...

happy birthday moya! and i could totally hear the tone in your voice, for your thoughts. lol! alyssa just turned 14 on monday ... these years are flying by, and it makes me a little sad to see them grow up so fast.

gorgeous page! and now i need that scallop punch. i didn't think i needed it, but you've convinced me i do. and maybe some chalk inks. and maybe i should take my sewing machine out and learn to use it. although it will take a LOT more to convince me to use glitter. lol!

BabyBokChoy said...

The glittered border is a brilliant idea!! Love your layout!

Anonymous said...

Kids do grow up way to fast! I remember days when they were little though and I did not believe that statement.
Great page!
~Julia

Heather Innusa said...

Beautiful layout!! Love the wave technique!! Stitching is just magical on layouts!! I really want to break out my sewing machine more - Your so darn crafty!!

Kristin Hayne said...

WAH!! I feel your pain my friend!! She is a beautiful 11 though!! Just a little spitting image of you!!! You've done well and we all get sad each time a birthday comes around... so enjoy her!! I love the layout, by the way. Makes me want to paint and glitter up some things!!

Jodi Geers said...

Happy Birthday, Moya! We have also had several birthdays celebrated with donuts. Mmmmmmm! Hope it was a great day!

The layout was also really cute! I especially love the waves. That idea will probably creep into one of my next layouts. Thanks for sharing! :)

Elisabeth Helland said...

wow, thank you so much for sharing, I really love this result... makes me wanna try it asap.... :o)
Havent been here in your blog before, but I really love what I see...
-norwegian greetings from me to you... :o)

Concetta Marchese said...

Stunning Layout!!! Love it :-)

Visit me at

http://sunshineoxo.blog.com/

Bonnie said...

Love the page. Just want to say my babies are 27 and 29 (almost 29). The years DO FLY BY and I can totally understand how you feel. Just wait until you have grandchildren (mine will be 5 next month). Grandchildren are almost better than children because you get the good but don't have to deal with the bad unless you want to....they go back home for that!

Cathy H. said...

Beautiful layour! This my first visit to your blog. Found you through CK Magazine FB post. I'm looking forward to following you!

BethW said...

Absolutely sweet-thank you for such innovative inspiration.

Anonymous said...

Your projects are beautiful! I'm excited to find a fellow "Shabby Girl" :) I'll drop by often to visit you, do come visit me too! :)

Hugs,
Viola
www.violamahr.typepad.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...