Monday, September 16, 2013

Sketchbook: Ludington

We spent our last week of summer vacationing in Ludington with my family. My parents rented a house on Lake Michigan and invited us to join them. It was awesome. Thanks Mom and Dad!

I brought along this beautiful journal hoping to fill it with quick water color sketches while there. We were so busy during the days, and I was so tired in the evenings, that I didn't complete even one sketch. I was a little disappointed, but decided to fill it with sketches from our vacation anyway, even if it was after the fact, using the hundreds of photos I had taken as reference.

My first sketch in the journal, the daisy, was painted right onto the handmade paper surface. I had a feeling the paint might seep through the paper, and it did. So for the second sketch I first primed the paper surface with gesso, which worked great.

This sketch is of the house we stayed in.

This is the back of the rental house. We stayed on the second level and had an amazing view of Lake Michigan. I miss that view. I'm so thankful to have had it for a week.

I've completed three sketches so far, and am excited to continue. I love this project so much that I think I will fill a sketchbook to record each of our future vacations as well. 

Supplies used: gesso, watercolor travel set, water brush, and waterproof pens

 




p.s. Thanks for all the words of congratulations on completing my Project Life album, and thanks for following my progress with the project. You guys are awesome!

2 comments:

Shannon Taylor said...

WOW WOW WOW!!! Gorgeous! I've always been a bit jealous of those who can sketch like this. Wonderful!

JENNY K. said...

So beautiful Cindy! Where did you find that sketchbook? So neat!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...